GRAND HOUSES










Facebook Link

Ambassador
Back to Grand Houses














The French Abassador's Residence
Kalorama Road, Washington D.C.

Designed by Jules Henri de Sibour in 1910, the building is a combination of Tudor Revival and Jacobean Revival styles of architecture. It is designated as a contributing property to the Sheridan-Kalorama Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. The building served as the Embassy of France from 1936 until the current chancery was constructed at 4101 Reservoir Road, N.W., north of Georgetown in 1985. Halpern Architects was engaged to undertake the interior renovation, interior design, and adaptive reuse of several spaces used by the French ambassadorís family and the Premierís suite, a series of spaces which serve as temporary quarters for high level officials with the French government.